Yield: 2 generous dinner portions (can be easily increased)
Souvlaki can be made with just about any meat you desire. Pork tenderloin, chicken breast, turkey breast and lamb all work equally well for this tasty skewered dish.
- 1 pound boneless turkey breast, cut into approximately 2″ cubes (NOTE: Increase portions to 4 dinners by using 2 pounds of meat, 6 dinners with 3 pounds, etc. Increase the seasonings accordingly.)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, preferably Greek
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 tablespoons Greek Seasoning by Merchant Spice Co.
- Isle of Cyprus flaky sea salt, to taste (NOTE: Available in Merchant Spice Co.’s Artisan Salts of the World Collection)
- Greek oregano, for garnish
- Pita bread or thickly sliced French bread
- Tomato salad and thinly sliced green chiles
- Tzatziki (a Greek yogurt sauce)
Prepare about 4 hours in advance of grilling. Place the turkey breast in a non-reactive lidded bowl (we use glass) and coat well with the olive oil. Add the lemon juice, seasoning and salt, and stir around to coat the meat evenly. Place in the refrigerator until ready to grill.
Place the meat on 4 skewers and ready your grill. Souvlaki is traditionally cooked over a charcoal (we use hardwood charcoal) fire to achieve the crusty finish that is so desirable for this dish. Grill the skewers for 8-10 minutes on each side until slightly blackened and perfectly done.
Serve with bread of your choice. Pitas are wonderful to tuck your tomato salad, tzatziki and meat into; however, French bread is traditional and equally delicious.