Yield: 2 servings
- 2 cups cooked & shredded chicken breast
- 1 tomato, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2 small white onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 – 1 cup diced chiles (NOTE: Either Hatch red or green chiles are an excellent choice.)
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons Merchant Spice Co.’s Adobo Seasoning
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup spring water or chicken stock (the amount dependent upon how ‘saucy’ you’d prefer your dish to be)
- extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- sea salt, to taste
For the rice and beans:
- 1 cup basmati rice (cook approximately 12 minutes with 2 cups water, 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil and 1 teaspoon sea salt)
- 2 cups cooked beans, your choice of dark red kidney beans or black beans
- Merchant Spice Co.’s Roasted Cumin Seasoned Sea Salt, to taste
- chopped cilantro and lime wedges, to garnish, if desired
Sauté the tomato in a cast iron skillet with olive oil until the liquid released by the tomatoes evaporates; then add garlic, white onion, green onions and celery, sautéing until the vegetables are crisp~tender. Next, add the chicken and Adobo Seasoning, along with 1/4 – 1/2 cup spring water or chicken stock. Reduce over high heat until saucy (to your liking). Add salt to taste, then the red or green chiles.
For the rice and beans, simply mix the cooked rice and beans with seasoned sea salt, to taste.
Serve the pollo en adobo alongside the rice and beans. Garnish the dish with chopped cilantro and lime wedges, if desired.